Located in Bepp, which is in the Oita Prefecture, is what many have termed the 7 springs of hell. The springs are actually hot springs that are coming to the surface and have water that is warm and scenic to look at. However, what you may not realize is this is also a great attraction for the region as well and one that people are sure to come to enjoy when they are in the lovely city of Beppu.
Where Are The Hells Of Beppu
A key factor about any type of vacation or holiday plans is knowing where the attraction you are visiting is located. With that being the case, here is the address and phone number for Beppu “Jigoku Meguri” Hells Tour.
Beppu, Oita 874-0000
Features Of The Hells of Beppu
The Hells of Beppu is a great location and one that you are going to enjoy. The main feature is all the hot springs that are around the area. Not to mention the amazing way the area looks in general.
Now, the hot springs are the main draw. You may notice that the roads and every place in the region is constantly warm and moist. However, at the Hells of Beppu you will notice the pools that are in the ground. These pools make it easier for you to enjoy the region, but also see the natural beauty.
What is really interesting about the hot springs is all the different colors you can see. You may think, like I did that all the water is blue or brown. However, the mineral count from the different hot pools that are around here the water can be a variety of different colors.
Beppu, like a lot of areas of Japan are very safe to walk in. This allows you to take in a lot of the natural beauty of the region as well. Now, granted you do have some areas that are more along the concrete jungle, but even then they are properly decorated and made to to the point that you can enjoy the region and the beauty of the area.
What Can You Do
The key thing that you can do is enjoy the city and the tour of the Beppu hot springs area. These springs are definitely unique to the region and are coming from the volcanic formations of the region. So that definitely makes it easier to enjoy the region and the beauty that is coming from the area. Not to mention, even in a decent sized city you will notice that Beppu is not overly crowded and you still have some great quiet time.
One of the main quiet features to enjoy at the region is the Onsen Temple. This temple is located right now to the Umi Jigoku. Not only does this give you a quiet spot to enjoy, it also allows you to get your mindset right about what you are about to see and enjoy.
Depending on the location you are staying in Beppu, some of the locations have their own miniature hot springs area. Now, this is not in all the hotels or locations, but in a limited few spots. This could allow you to enjoy some of the water from the hot springs like you never have been able to do before.
What Can You Not Do
One of the main things that you cannot do is actually get into the hot pools. Not only are the pools extremely hot, the water would not be good for your skin and is not meant for bathing in.
Something else that you should not do is take any of the natural things from the region. Taking these will eventually ruin the space and make it impossible for future generations to enjoy the space because it would be destroyed.
Cost Of Going To The Hells Of Beppu
The cost of going on the tour as a self guided or getting access to the location is very reasonable. However, it is important to note that the entry fee does vary depending on how many of the Hells you want to see. If you want to only see one, which I do not recommend, the cost is roughly 400 yen. However, if you want to see all 7 of the hells, then the entry fee will go up to 2000 yen.
List of The Hells Of Beppu
- Umi Jigoku (Sea Hell): A hot spring with a bright blue color and a temperature of around 98 degrees Celsius. It’s surrounded by beautiful Japanese-style gardens and features a small zoo with crocodiles and flamingos.
- Oniishibozu Jigoku (Shaven Monk’s Head Hell): This hot spring features mud bubbles that look like the shaven heads of monks. It has a milky white color due to the high concentration of minerals.
- Kamado Jigoku (Cooking Pot Hell): The water in this hot spring is used to cook various foods such as eggs, vegetables, and steamed buns. The temperature reaches around 90 degrees Celsius.
- Chinoike Jigoku (Blood Pond Hell): This hot spring gets its name from the bright red color of its water due to the high iron content. The temperature is around 78 degrees Celsius.
- Tatsumaki Jigoku (Geyser Hell): This hot spring is known for its impressive geyser that erupts every 30-40 minutes, shooting water up to 30 meters high. The water temperature is around 105 degrees Celsius.
- Shiraike Jigoku (White Pond Hell): This hot spring has a milky white color and is surrounded by a beautiful Japanese-style garden. The water temperature is around 98 degrees Celsius.
- Yama Jigoku (Mountain Hell): This hot spring features various animals such as alligators, penguins, and capybaras. It also has a mud bath for visitors to enjoy. The water temperature is around 96 degrees Celsius.
- Oniyama Jigoku (Demon Mountain Hell): This hot spring is known for its large population of crocodiles, which are kept in captivity. Visitors can feed the crocodiles with chicken and fish. The water temperature is around 98 degrees Celsius.
Pros And Cons
- The town has plenty of natural beauty.
- The hot springs in the area are beautiful.
- All the different springs have a variety of colors.
- Cost of touring the springs is reasonable.
- Easy to get to the location from most part of the city.
- Cannot go into the springs.
- Sometimes the weather can ruin the viewing pleasure of the area.
Who Would Like Hells Of Beppu
The people that would really enjoy the Hells of Beppu would be those that really like hot springs. Since this city is located in the volcanic region it is going to be easy to see their are springs all over the place. However, in this location it has the most scenic and beautiful hot springs that you are able to enjoy.
Another group that is going to enjoy the location are people that enjoy natural beauty. As many people have found out Japan is a country that is very walker friendly, but also has a lot of see. The city of Beppu is sometimes considered a resort type of location and with that does have some locations that offer all that you could expect from these places.
A cultural immersion is something else people will enjoy here. The city is one that does have some areas, like we mentioned before that have the resort feel, but at the same time some of the region has the culture feel. So depending on where you are at in the city you can start to get some of the cultural experience.
Who Would Dislike The Location
The people that are looking for more of a big city type of feel would definitely be disappointed here. The location is more of a smaller city and resort type of area that relies on a lot of natural beauty for tourist. With that being the case, the people who would dislike it are those that would want to be able to go to a place like Tokyo to get more of the big city Japan type of feel.
What Is Around The Hells of Beppu
Now, what else is interesting is the Hells of Beppu are actually located within a short distance of 591 restaurants, but also 111 different attractions. Here are a couple of the main restaurants that we would recommend checking out, one of them is only feet away from the entrance of the attraction.
Kamado Jigoku Baiten is a Japanese style restaurant that a lot of people have reported enjoying. The place has a lot of the traditional food that people enjoy, but also have a lot of different options on the menu.
If you are looking for a short walk and different food styles, then you may want to check out Restaurant Mitsuboshi. This is a place that follows more of the French and European type of influence, but still has some of the flavor profiles that have made the Japanese cuisine one of the best.
This really depends on how many of the hells you want to see and how long you spend at each one.
The tour groups are available, but if you want to have a better experience it is best to go on your own.
The tickets can be bought at any of the hells gates, but if you want to skip the ticket line you can pick up tickets at the Beppu JR Station Tourist Information center.
Our Final Thoughts On The Hells Of Beppu
The Hells of Beppu is definitely a unique location. However, it is a location that you are sure to enjoy. I know for us the location has a lot of promise and definitely will provide plenty of natural beauty. Then again we tend to head towards the natural beauty areas and that is what you find here. Overall, I would recommend taking some time to explore the hells, but also if you are on a time crunch find the hell that would make the most sense to you to make the most out of your trip.